Skip to content
-
Subscribe to our newsletter & never miss our best posts. Subscribe Now!
  • Facebook
  • Twitter / X
  • Instagram
  • Youtube
BhaskarLive.in Bhaskar Live

Bhaskar English News

BhaskarLive.in Bhaskar Live

Bhaskar English News

  • TOP NEWS
  • NATIONAL
  • WORLD
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • BUSINESS
  • SCIENCE
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • TOP NEWS
  • NATIONAL
  • WORLD
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • BUSINESS
  • SCIENCE
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
Subscribe
Close

Search

TOP NEWS

WHO warns DRC Ebola epidemic poses high risk of further spread

By IANS
August 18, 2026 2 Min Read

Geneva, Aug 18 (IANS) World Health Organisation (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned Tuesday that the Bundibugyo virus disease epidemic in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) continues to pose a “high” risk of further spread both within the country and across international borders, as the outbreak has become the second-largest Ebola epidemic ever recorded.

Speaking at the opening of the second meeting of the emergency committee convened under the International Health Regulations (IHR), Tedros said nearly 5,000 people had been infected, and more than 2,300 had died across six provinces and 55 health zones since he declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern three months ago.

“The epidemic is far from being under control,” Tedros told committee members, alongside representatives from the DRC, Uganda and France. “It had a big head start, and we are still playing catch-up,” Xinhua News Agency reported.

Tedros described the speed of the outbreak as “unprecedented,” saying it is spreading faster than any previous Ebola outbreak, driven by insecurity, displacement and intense population movement along roads, rivers and mining routes.

He said his greatest concern was that many deaths were occurring at home and in communities, outside treatment centres and among people not on known contact lists.

“Every death like that points to a chain of transmission we have not yet found. Until every chain is found and broken, the epidemic will continue,” he said.

Uganda successfully halted transmission following an initial spillover, a response Tedros commended. However, the virus was recently detected in France in an international traveller, highlighting the risk of cross-border spread.

“Borders may slow a response; they do not stop a virus,” Tedros said.

WHO, Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, the DRC government and partners are scaling up community-based surveillance, expanding treatment capacity, supporting safe burials and strengthening community engagement, while clinical trials are also advancing.

For the first time, two vaccines specifically designed against Bundibugyo virus have entered human trials, while a separate cross-protective vaccine is moving toward phase-three testing. The WHO-sponsored PARTNERS treatment trial has enrolled 100 patients.

Tedros said faster data sharing, stronger surveillance, sustained financing, improved access and security, and closer cross-border coordination remain urgently needed. He also warned against allowing the Ebola response to disrupt essential health services for other major threats, including malaria, cholera, pneumonia and maternal mortality.

The outbreak of Bundibugyo Ebola virus disease, for which there is currently no approved vaccine or treatment, was declared by DRC authorities on May 15.

–IANS

ksk/dan

Tags:

NEWS
Author

IANS

Follow Me
Other Articles
Previous

K’taka BJP MLA stirs row over Muslims’ opposition to ‘Vande Mataram’, slams Sonia and Rahul Gandhi

Next

Sanyam Lodha to move Rajasthan HC over Panchayati Raj ward lottery delay, says postponement amounts to contempt

Search

News Categories

  • BUSINESS
  • EDUCATION
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FINANCE
  • HEALTH AND MEDICINE
  • INTERNATIONAL
  • NATIONAL
  • SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
  • SPORTS
  • TOP NEWS

About us

Bhaskar Live (bhaskarlive.in) is an English-language digital news portal that provides real-time coverage of national and international news, focusing on India-centric stories with a mix of original reporting and syndicated content. Launched in 2016, it serves as the English arm of the Dainik Bhaskar Group, one of India's largest media conglomerates known primarily for its Hindi-language newspaper, Dainik Bhaskar. The site is owned by Bhaskar Prakashan Pvt. Ltd.,

Terms of use

By accessing BhaskarLive.in, you agree to these Terms. This site provides news and information for personal, non-commercial use only. All content is copyrighted; reproduction requires written permission. You must not post unlawful, defamatory, or infringing material. We disclaim all warranties; content is provided "as is" without guarantees of accuracy. BhaskarLive.in is not liable for any damages from use. These Terms are governed by Madhya Pradesh law. We may update them anytime—continued use implies acceptance. Contact: bhaskarlive2019@gmail.com.

Disclaimer

This news is automatically published via auto feeds. No changes or modifications (editing) of any kind have been made to this news by the bhaskarlive.in team. The entire responsibility for this news and the materials used in it lies solely with the news agency. Before using the information provided in this news, please consult experts in the relevant field (lawyer / engineer / astrologer / vastu expert / doctor / news agency / other subject experts). Therefore, bhaskarlive.in news portal bears no responsibility for the related news and the text matter, photos, videos, and audio used.

Advertise with us

Email: bhaskarlive2019@gmail.com
Mobile: +91 - 9770324452
WhatsApp: +91 - 9424358037

Contact us

Bhaskar Prakashan Pvt. Ltd.
Email: bhaskarlive2019@gmail.com
Mobile: +91 - 9770324452
WhatsApp: +91 - 9424358037
Address: Bishambhar Bhavan, 18, Civic Centre, Jabalpur- 482002, Madhya Pradesh, India - 482004
Copyright 2026 — Bhaskar Live. All rights reserved.
richard casino login
Winomania Casino website
casino avantgarde