Skip to content
-
Subscribe to our newsletter & never miss our best posts. Subscribe Now!
  • Facebook
  • Twitter / X
  • Instagram
  • Youtube
BhaskarLive.in Bhaskar Live

Bhaskar English News

BhaskarLive.in Bhaskar Live

Bhaskar English News

  • TOP NEWS
  • NATIONAL
  • WORLD
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • BUSINESS
  • SCIENCE
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • TOP NEWS
  • NATIONAL
  • WORLD
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • BUSINESS
  • SCIENCE
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
Subscribe
Close

Search

EDUCATION

South Korea’s Defence Ministry reviews progress on conditions for OPCON transfer

By Bhaskar Live
July 1, 2026 2 Min Read

Seoul, July 1 (IANS) South Korea’s defence ministry on Wednesday reviewed the progress of Seoul’s push to complete the verification of full operational capability (FOC) within this year, as it seeks to expedite the transfer of wartime operational control (OPCON) from Washington.

The move comes as South Korea’s Defence Minister Ahn Gyu-back vowed to hold such meetings every quarter this year as part of efforts to complete the transition within South Korean President Lee Jae Myung’s five-year term ending in 2030.

FOC refers to the second part of a three-stage program to assess Seoul’s capabilities to lead the allies’ combined forces for the retaking of wartime control. Seoul is currently in the second phase of the assessment required for the transfer, Yonhap News Agency reported.

Wednesday’s meeting came amid what is seen as a possible gap between Seoul and Washington over the timing of the OPCON transfer. Seoul has sought to move up the timeline for the planned transfer, while the US side has highlighted fully meeting the conditions.

The meeting, presided over by Ahn, also touched on the progress of drawing up a road map with the United States, which Seoul hopes to wrap up before the defence chiefs of both countries meet for the annual Security Consultative Meeting (SCM) in October.

During the meeting, Ahn was also briefed on the military’s progress in turning the special operations command of the South Korea-US Combined Forces Command (CFC) into a standing unit. It plans to transition the command into a permanent unit within the year, according to officials.

Four of the six component commands, including the air, ground and naval components, have completed their transition as standing component commands within the CFC structure.

Through the transition, the component command, previously only activated during contingency operations, will allow American troops to be regularly assigned as members of combined combat staff to jointly establish combined operation plans and plans for large-scale drills.

“Through the military’s strenuous efforts over the past 20 years, the military and policy conditions, along with public support, are now in place to restore OPCON immediately,” Ahn said, while urging the military to work together to accomplish the “historic mission.”

The meeting also discussed ways to enhance the “integrity” of the South Korea-led joint defence posture after it regains wartime operational control from the US, the defence ministry said.

South Korea handed over operational control of its troops to the US-led UN Command during the 1950-53 Korean War. It was then transferred to the allies’ CFC when the command was launched in 1978. Seoul retook peacetime OPCON in 1994, but wartime OPCON still remains in US hands.

–IANS

akl/

Tags:

NEWS
Author

Bhaskar Live

Follow Me
Other Articles
Previous

Women’s T20 WC: Mooney credits Australia’s squad depth for marching into record eighth final

Next

Shruti Haasan resumes shooting for Dulquer Salmaan-starrer ‘Aakasam Lo Oka Tara’

Search

News Categories

  • BUSINESS
  • EDUCATION
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FINANCE
  • HEALTH AND MEDICINE
  • INTERNATIONAL
  • NATIONAL
  • SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
  • SPORTS
  • TOP NEWS

About us

Bhaskar Live (bhaskarlive.in) is an English-language digital news portal that provides real-time coverage of national and international news, focusing on India-centric stories with a mix of original reporting and syndicated content. Launched in 2016, it serves as the English arm of the Dainik Bhaskar Group, one of India's largest media conglomerates known primarily for its Hindi-language newspaper, Dainik Bhaskar. The site is owned by Bhaskar Prakashan Pvt. Ltd.,

Terms of use

By accessing BhaskarLive.in, you agree to these Terms. This site provides news and information for personal, non-commercial use only. All content is copyrighted; reproduction requires written permission. You must not post unlawful, defamatory, or infringing material. We disclaim all warranties; content is provided "as is" without guarantees of accuracy. BhaskarLive.in is not liable for any damages from use. These Terms are governed by Madhya Pradesh law. We may update them anytime—continued use implies acceptance. Contact: bhaskarlive2019@gmail.com.

Disclaimer

This news is automatically published via auto feeds. No changes or modifications (editing) of any kind have been made to this news by the bhaskarlive.in team. The entire responsibility for this news and the materials used in it lies solely with the news agency. Before using the information provided in this news, please consult experts in the relevant field (lawyer / engineer / astrologer / vastu expert / doctor / news agency / other subject experts). Therefore, bhaskarlive.in news portal bears no responsibility for the related news and the text matter, photos, videos, and audio used.

Advertise with us

Email: bhaskarlive2019@gmail.com
Mobile: +91 - 9770324452
WhatsApp: +91 - 9424358037

Contact us

Bhaskar Prakashan Pvt. Ltd.
Email: bhaskarlive2019@gmail.com
Mobile: +91 - 9770324452
WhatsApp: +91 - 9424358037
Address: Bishambhar Bhavan, 18, Civic Centre, Jabalpur- 482002, Madhya Pradesh, India - 482004
Copyright 2026 — Bhaskar Live. All rights reserved.
richard casino login
Winomania Casino website
casino avantgarde