Skip to content
-
Subscribe to our newsletter & never miss our best posts. Subscribe Now!
  • Facebook
  • Twitter / X
  • Instagram
  • Youtube
BhaskarLive.in Bhaskar Live

Bhaskar English News

BhaskarLive.in Bhaskar Live

Bhaskar English News

  • TOP NEWS
  • NATIONAL
  • WORLD
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • BUSINESS
  • SCIENCE
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • TOP NEWS
  • NATIONAL
  • WORLD
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • BUSINESS
  • SCIENCE
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
Subscribe
Close

Search

TOP NEWS

Shillong violence: Meghalaya assures safe return of tourists, compensation for damaged vehicles

By IANS
August 23, 2026 2 Min Read

Guwahati, Aug 22 (IANS) The Assam and Meghalaya governments on Saturday agreed on a series of measures to defuse tensions following the August 19 violence in Shillong, with Meghalaya assuring safe evacuation of stranded Assam tourists, compensation for injured persons and damaged vehicles, and strict action against those involved in the attacks.

The decisions were taken at a high-level meeting at the Koinadhara State Guest House in Guwahati, led by Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister Sniawbhalang Dhar and Assam Border Protection and Development Minister Atul Bora.

The meeting, attended by senior officials from both states, continued for more than three hours and focused on restoring normal movement of people and vehicles along the interstate routes.

Dhar said the Meghalaya government sincerely regretted the August 19 incident and assured Assam that strong action would be taken against those responsible.

He added that 15 FIRs had been registered in connection with the violence and that the president, vice-president and general secretary of the Khasi Students’ Union (KSU) had been arrested under the Meghalaya Maintenance of Public Order Act.

Five masked individuals allegedly involved in attacks on Assam-registered vehicles have also been identified, Dhar said.

A Special Investigation Team has been constituted to identify all those involved in the violence and ensure their prosecution in accordance with law.

The Meghalaya government told the meeting that more than 3,770 Assam-registered vehicles had already been safely escorted into Assam.

The Assam Control Room received 54 distress calls involving 175 people, including occupants of 22 private vehicles and five tourist vehicles.

Meghalaya’s control room has received 379 distress calls and is assisting people seeking safe passage.

The two governments agreed that all passengers and vehicles still stranded in Meghalaya and wishing to return to Assam would be safely escorted within the next 48 hours.

A dedicated coordination mechanism will also be established between senior police officers of the two states, including the Assam Inspector General of Police (Special Branch) Ratna Singha and Meghalaya IGP (Law and Order) Davis N.R. Marak.

Dedicated helplines and an online support forum will assist stranded travellers.

The states also decided to constitute permanent district-level joint committees involving the administrations and police of Kamrup Metropolitan and Nongpoh to resolve border-related issues promptly.

A separate joint committee involving senior transport officials and tourist vehicle associations will be formed to regulate tourist movement and protect shared tourism interests.

Both governments also agreed to ensure safe transit through each other’s territory, including movement between Assam’s Barak Valley and other parts of the state through Meghalaya.

The Meghalaya government reiterated that it would take responsibility for the safety and security of tourists and vehicles from Assam and other parts of the country during their stay and movement within the state.

The measures are aimed at preventing further escalation and restoring normal interstate traffic following the Shillong violence and subsequent protests at Jorabat.

–IANS

tdr/khz

Tags:

NEWS
Author

IANS

Follow Me
Other Articles
Previous

Power failure: NTA issues notice to firm running Ayush exam centre in Jaipur

Next

Badminton WC: French players make it to two historic finals

Search

News Categories

  • BUSINESS
  • EDUCATION
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FINANCE
  • HEALTH AND MEDICINE
  • INTERNATIONAL
  • NATIONAL
  • SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
  • SPORTS
  • TOP NEWS

About us

Bhaskar Live (bhaskarlive.in) is an English-language digital news portal that provides real-time coverage of national and international news, focusing on India-centric stories with a mix of original reporting and syndicated content. Launched in 2016, it serves as the English arm of the Dainik Bhaskar Group, one of India's largest media conglomerates known primarily for its Hindi-language newspaper, Dainik Bhaskar. The site is owned by Bhaskar Prakashan Pvt. Ltd.,

Terms of use

By accessing BhaskarLive.in, you agree to these Terms. This site provides news and information for personal, non-commercial use only. All content is copyrighted; reproduction requires written permission. You must not post unlawful, defamatory, or infringing material. We disclaim all warranties; content is provided "as is" without guarantees of accuracy. BhaskarLive.in is not liable for any damages from use. These Terms are governed by Madhya Pradesh law. We may update them anytime—continued use implies acceptance. Contact: bhaskarlive2019@gmail.com.

Disclaimer

This news is automatically published via auto feeds. No changes or modifications (editing) of any kind have been made to this news by the bhaskarlive.in team. The entire responsibility for this news and the materials used in it lies solely with the news agency. Before using the information provided in this news, please consult experts in the relevant field (lawyer / engineer / astrologer / vastu expert / doctor / news agency / other subject experts). Therefore, bhaskarlive.in news portal bears no responsibility for the related news and the text matter, photos, videos, and audio used.

Advertise with us

Email: bhaskarlive2019@gmail.com
Mobile: +91 - 9770324452
WhatsApp: +91 - 9424358037

Contact us

Bhaskar Prakashan Pvt. Ltd.
Email: bhaskarlive2019@gmail.com
Mobile: +91 - 9770324452
WhatsApp: +91 - 9424358037
Address: Bishambhar Bhavan, 18, Civic Centre, Jabalpur- 482002, Madhya Pradesh, India - 482004
Copyright 2026 — Bhaskar Live. All rights reserved.
richard casino login
Winomania Casino website
casino avantgarde