Skip to content
-
Subscribe to our newsletter & never miss our best posts. Subscribe Now!
  • Facebook
  • Twitter / X
  • Instagram
  • Youtube
BhaskarLive.in Bhaskar Live

Bhaskar English News

BhaskarLive.in Bhaskar Live

Bhaskar English News

  • TOP NEWS
  • NATIONAL
  • WORLD
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • BUSINESS
  • SCIENCE
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • TOP NEWS
  • NATIONAL
  • WORLD
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • BUSINESS
  • SCIENCE
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
Subscribe
Close

Search

EDUCATION

K’taka to re-verify 1.28 crore Gruha Laxmi beneficiaries amid misuse concerns

By IANS
June 10, 2026 3 Min Read

Bengaluru, June 10 (IANS) The Congress government in Karnataka has ordered a re-verification of beneficiaries under the Gruha Laxmi scheme, which provides a monthly allowance of Rs 2,000 to women heads of households.

The move has sparked concerns and renewed debate over whether the government is considering scaling back its flagship guarantee schemes. However, the government has maintained that the exercise is aimed solely at preventing misuse and ensuring benefits reach eligible recipients.

The decision to review the Gruha Laxmi scheme follows the detection of alleged misuse, with monthly allowances reportedly being credited to the accounts of 1.48 lakh deceased beneficiaries.

The issue was identified by Congress MLC Dinesh Gooligowda, Vice Chairman of the Guarantee Implementation Committee.

Following the findings, the government stopped payments to those accounts and decided to reassess the beneficiary list.

Speaking to IANS, Dinesh Gooligowda confirmed that monthly payments of Rs 2,000 had been deposited into accounts belonging to beneficiaries who had died.

“The payments have now been stopped. I had submitted a report to then Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and then Deputy Chief Minister D.K. Shivakumar, highlighting the misuse of the scheme,” he said.

He further stated that D.K. Shivakumar has agreed to a comprehensive re-verification of Gruha Laxmi beneficiaries and has issued directions in this regard while chairing a meeting on the matter.

Sources said approximately 1.48 lakh deceased beneficiaries had continued to receive payments for up to five months.

During the review process, officials also found discrepancies in the mobile numbers linked to some beneficiary accounts.

According to sources, the government is considering inviting fresh applications from beneficiaries as part of the verification exercise.

There are around 1.28 crore beneficiaries under the Gruha Laxmi scheme across Karnataka.

The state government spends approximately Rs 30-32 crore every month on the programme.

Sources said a proposal to seek fresh applications from all beneficiaries could be discussed at the next Cabinet meeting.

The development comes amid repeated assurances from Shivakumar that the government has no plans to withdraw any of its guarantee schemes.

He has, however, emphasised the need to verify beneficiaries to ensure that benefits reach the intended recipients and to prevent misuse.

He has previously referred to alleged misuse in both the Shakti free bus travel scheme and the Gruha Laxmi programme.

Meanwhile, JD(S) leader and social media influencer Jhanvi Rajshekar, speaking to IANS, criticised the government’s handling of the guarantee schemes.

“The guarantee schemes were implemented in an unscientific manner from the beginning. Then Deputy Chief Minister and current Chief Minister D.K. Shivakumar had claimed that the benefits were available to everyone. As a result, hundreds of crores of rupees were allegedly disbursed to ineligible beneficiaries,” she said.

“All of this involved taxpayers’ money. If the schemes had been implemented scientifically from the outset, the misuse of hundreds of crores could have been avoided. The Congress government also curtailed the Sandhya Suraksha scheme, reducing the number of beneficiaries from 23 lakh to around 6-7 lakh. The government is directly responsible for the alleged misuse of public funds,” she alleged.

Jhanvi further claimed that while development works had been affected due to the financial burden of guarantee schemes, the benefits were still not reaching the rightful beneficiaries.

“There are clear signs that some guarantees could eventually be curtailed. The Congress government launched Indira Canteens in 2017 to provide subsidised food. However, despite spending hundreds of crores, it struggled to sustain the programme,” she said.

According to Jhanvi, only about 200 of the nearly 600 Indira Canteens originally planned or established remain operational.

“Three years of the government’s tenure have already passed, and the final year will effectively be an election year. At this stage, identifying genuine beneficiaries and correcting the system will be difficult. None of the government’s ambitious welfare projects have been implemented successfully,” she alleged.

–IANS

mka/pgh

Tags:

NEWS
Author

IANS

Follow Me
Other Articles
Previous

Assam: Two suspected rhino poachers arrested in Kaziranga

Next

Jaipur court awards 20-year RI to teacher, accomplice in minor assault case

Search

News Categories

  • 3
  • BUSINESS
  • EDUCATION
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FINANCE
  • HEALTH AND MEDICINE
  • INTERNATIONAL
  • NATIONAL
  • public
  • SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
  • SPORTS
  • TOP NEWS

About us

Bhaskar Live (bhaskarlive.in) is an English-language digital news portal that provides real-time coverage of national and international news, focusing on India-centric stories with a mix of original reporting and syndicated content. Launched in 2016, it serves as the English arm of the Dainik Bhaskar Group, one of India's largest media conglomerates known primarily for its Hindi-language newspaper, Dainik Bhaskar. The site is owned by Bhaskar Prakashan Pvt. Ltd.,

Terms of use

By accessing BhaskarLive.in, you agree to these Terms. This site provides news and information for personal, non-commercial use only. All content is copyrighted; reproduction requires written permission. You must not post unlawful, defamatory, or infringing material. We disclaim all warranties; content is provided "as is" without guarantees of accuracy. BhaskarLive.in is not liable for any damages from use. These Terms are governed by Madhya Pradesh law. We may update them anytime—continued use implies acceptance. Contact: bhaskarlive2019@gmail.com.

Disclaimer

This news is automatically published via auto feeds. No changes or modifications (editing) of any kind have been made to this news by the bhaskarlive.in team. The entire responsibility for this news and the materials used in it lies solely with the news agency. Before using the information provided in this news, please consult experts in the relevant field (lawyer / engineer / astrologer / vastu expert / doctor / news agency / other subject experts). Therefore, bhaskarlive.in news portal bears no responsibility for the related news and the text matter, photos, videos, and audio used.

Advertise with us

Email: bhaskarlive2019@gmail.com
Mobile: +91 - 9770324452
WhatsApp: +91 - 9424358037

Contact us

Bhaskar Prakashan Pvt. Ltd.
Email: bhaskarlive2019@gmail.com
Mobile: +91 - 9770324452
WhatsApp: +91 - 9424358037
Address: Bishambhar Bhavan, 18, Civic Centre, Jabalpur- 482002, Madhya Pradesh, India - 482004
Copyright 2026 — Bhaskar Live. All rights reserved.
richard casino login
Winomania Casino website
casino avantgarde