Skip to content
-
Subscribe to our newsletter & never miss our best posts. Subscribe Now!
  • Facebook
  • Twitter / X
  • Instagram
  • Youtube
BhaskarLive.in Bhaskar Live

Bhaskar English News

BhaskarLive.in Bhaskar Live

Bhaskar English News

  • TOP NEWS
  • NATIONAL
  • WORLD
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • BUSINESS
  • SCIENCE
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • TOP NEWS
  • NATIONAL
  • WORLD
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • BUSINESS
  • SCIENCE
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
Subscribe
Close

Search

TOP NEWS

DR Congo Ebola outbreak remains global health emergency as cases surge

By IANS
August 19, 2026 3 Min Read

Kinshasa, Aug 19 (IANS) The World Health Organisation (WHO) has said that the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) remains a public health emergency of international concern (PHEIC), as the epidemic surpasses 5,000 cases, spreads into new areas and prompts authorities to pursue experimental vaccines and treatments.

The outbreak is now the second-largest Ebola outbreak ever recorded and is spreading faster than all previous ones, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at an emergency committee meeting.

As of Sunday, 5,021 confirmed cases and 2,378 deaths had been reported across 55 health zones in six provinces, with a case fatality rate of 47.4 per cent, according to the latest WHO tally.

The epidemic, caused by the Bundibugyo ebolavirus, has surpassed the 2018-2020 Ebola outbreak in eastern DRC, previously the country’s deadliest. The Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) said Monday that the current outbreak is killing roughly one person every 30 minutes and risks becoming the deadliest Ebola epidemic ever recorded globally if its trajectory is not urgently reversed.

“We must be frank: the epidemic is far from being under control,” Tedros said. “It had a big head start, and we are still playing catch-up.”

During the first 95 days of reporting, the seven-day moving average rose to more than 90 confirmed cases a day, substantially higher than at the same stage of the 2014-2016 West Africa epidemic and the DRC’s 2018-2020 outbreak, according to a WHO situation report, Xinhua news agency reported.

The eastern province of Ituri remains the epicentre, accounting for 84.8 per cent of cumulative cases, but infections are accelerating in neighbouring provinces. The WHO warned that high mortality, deaths outside treatment facilities, a growing surveillance workload and uneven response capacity indicate that current measures are not sufficient to interrupt transmission.

DRC Health Minister Roger Kamba said the outbreak had spread unusually fast despite a “very rapid and very vigorous” response. He suggested that Bundibugyo’s less distinctive early symptoms allow infected people to remain in their communities longer before seeking care.

With no approved vaccine or treatment specifically targeting Bundibugyo virus, authorities are turning to experimental and repurposed medical tools.

Two vaccines designed specifically against Bundibugyo virus have entered human trials, Tedros said. A WHO-sponsored PARTNERS treatment trial is also evaluating antiviral remdesivir, the experimental monoclonal antibody MBP134 and their combination. Preliminary results could be available in “about three to four weeks,” Kamba said.

Researchers are also studying oral antiviral obeldesivir as post-exposure prophylaxis.

Authorities are meanwhile examining whether Ervebo, the licensed vaccine against Zaire ebolavirus, could provide protection against Bundibugyo virus. Kamba said observations among vaccinated health workers and laboratory studies had suggested possible cross-protection, while stressing that this remains unconfirmed.

Africa CDC on Monday backed a DRC request for controlled expanded use of Ervebo among high-risk frontline workers, alongside a Phase III trial to determine whether it can protect against Bundibugyo virus.

The WHO warned that the risk of further spread within the DRC is still “very high,” while the risk of cross-border transmission remains elevated.

Tshopo province and its capital Kisangani are of particular concern because of their road, river and air links, which could facilitate longer-distance transmission toward Kinshasa, the national capital. Kamba said no cases from the current outbreak had been confirmed in Kinshasa.

Authorities have stepped up screening along river routes to Kinshasa.

Tedros said population movement “along roads, rivers and mining routes,” combined with insecurity and displacement, was fueling the epidemic.

Uganda, South Sudan and the Central African Republic are considered at particularly high risk of imported cases because of their proximity to affected areas and frequent cross-border population movements, according to the WHO.

–IANS

/as

Tags:

Health News
Author

IANS

Follow Me
Other Articles
Previous

Adani Electricity conducts monsoon safety awareness drive in its power distribution areas

Next

Cabinet okays key Bihar road project for Rs 3,590 crore to boost connectivity, cut congestion

Search

News Categories

  • BUSINESS
  • EDUCATION
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FINANCE
  • HEALTH AND MEDICINE
  • INTERNATIONAL
  • NATIONAL
  • SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
  • SPORTS
  • TOP NEWS

About us

Bhaskar Live (bhaskarlive.in) is an English-language digital news portal that provides real-time coverage of national and international news, focusing on India-centric stories with a mix of original reporting and syndicated content. Launched in 2016, it serves as the English arm of the Dainik Bhaskar Group, one of India's largest media conglomerates known primarily for its Hindi-language newspaper, Dainik Bhaskar. The site is owned by Bhaskar Prakashan Pvt. Ltd.,

Terms of use

By accessing BhaskarLive.in, you agree to these Terms. This site provides news and information for personal, non-commercial use only. All content is copyrighted; reproduction requires written permission. You must not post unlawful, defamatory, or infringing material. We disclaim all warranties; content is provided "as is" without guarantees of accuracy. BhaskarLive.in is not liable for any damages from use. These Terms are governed by Madhya Pradesh law. We may update them anytime—continued use implies acceptance. Contact: bhaskarlive2019@gmail.com.

Disclaimer

This news is automatically published via auto feeds. No changes or modifications (editing) of any kind have been made to this news by the bhaskarlive.in team. The entire responsibility for this news and the materials used in it lies solely with the news agency. Before using the information provided in this news, please consult experts in the relevant field (lawyer / engineer / astrologer / vastu expert / doctor / news agency / other subject experts). Therefore, bhaskarlive.in news portal bears no responsibility for the related news and the text matter, photos, videos, and audio used.

Advertise with us

Email: bhaskarlive2019@gmail.com
Mobile: +91 - 9770324452
WhatsApp: +91 - 9424358037

Contact us

Bhaskar Prakashan Pvt. Ltd.
Email: bhaskarlive2019@gmail.com
Mobile: +91 - 9770324452
WhatsApp: +91 - 9424358037
Address: Bishambhar Bhavan, 18, Civic Centre, Jabalpur- 482002, Madhya Pradesh, India - 482004
Copyright 2026 — Bhaskar Live. All rights reserved.
richard casino login
Winomania Casino website
casino avantgarde