Skip to content
-
Subscribe to our newsletter & never miss our best posts. Subscribe Now!
  • Facebook
  • Twitter / X
  • Instagram
  • Youtube
BhaskarLive.in Bhaskar Live

Bhaskar English News

BhaskarLive.in Bhaskar Live

Bhaskar English News

  • TOP NEWS
  • NATIONAL
  • WORLD
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • BUSINESS
  • SCIENCE
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • TOP NEWS
  • NATIONAL
  • WORLD
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • BUSINESS
  • SCIENCE
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
Subscribe
Close

Search

EDUCATION

Hormuz truce holds as US, Iran resume talks

By IANS
June 29, 2026 3 Min Read

Washington, June 29 (IANS) The United States and Iran have agreed to halt their recent military exchanges around the Strait of Hormuz and move forward with negotiations aimed at preserving a fragile ceasefire, even as both sides continue to disagree over who has authority over one of the world’s most important maritime trade routes.

According to reports by The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times and The Washington Post, officials from both countries signalled on Sunday that technical talks would continue despite several days of retaliatory strikes that had raised fears of a broader regional conflict.

A US official, quoted by both The New York Times and The Washington Post, said the two sides had agreed to halt attacks in the Strait and allow commercial shipping to resume.

“Both sides will stand down for now and vessels can move freely,” the official said, according to The Washington Post.

The New York Times reported that technical discussions would continue on implementing the memorandum of understanding that produced the fragile ceasefire, although Iran had yet to publicly confirm the reported understanding.

The renewed diplomatic push follows four days of military exchanges that began after attacks on commercial vessels in the Strait of Hormuz.

The United States blamed Iran for the attacks and responded with strikes on Iranian military infrastructure. Iran retaliated with missile and drone attacks targeting US military facilities in Bahrain and Kuwait, although US officials said the projectiles were intercepted or failed to reach their intended targets.

Despite the apparent breakthrough, the two sides remain sharply divided over the future administration of the Strait.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi insisted on Sunday that Tehran alone has responsibility for managing maritime traffic through the waterway under the memorandum signed with Washington earlier this month.

“Under the memorandum of understanding, no other entity or country has any responsibility in this regard,” Araghchi said during a news conference in Baghdad, according to reporting by The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post and The New York Times.

He also warned that “any intervention or attempt to create arrangements contrary” to the agreement would “complicate the situation, delay the return of normalcy” and postpone the reopening of the Strait.

Washington, however, maintains that freedom of navigation must be preserved.

US Ambassador to the United Nations Mike Waltz warned that Iran would face further consequences if attacks on commercial shipping continued.

“If the Iranian regime thinks for a second that President Trump is going to sit by, stand by, while Iran continues to attack international shipping without a response, they’re sadly mistaken,” Waltz told Fox News.

President Donald Trump also renewed his warning to Tehran after authorising additional US strikes over the weekend.

“There may come a point when we are no longer able to be reasonable, and will be forced to militarily complete the job that we very successfully started,” Trump wrote on Truth Social, adding: “If that happens, the Islamic Republic of Iran will no longer exist!”

The recent violence briefly disrupted commercial traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, a strategic chokepoint through which roughly one-fifth of the world’s seaborne oil trade normally passes. The New York Times reported that oil prices edged higher as investors monitored the security situation, while commercial shipping resumed cautiously after the reported agreement.

The Wall Street Journal reported that both countries now intend to resume broader negotiations aimed at ending hostilities and addressing Iran’s nuclear programme, with discussions expected to focus initially on restoring normal shipping through the Strait.

–IANS

lkj/rs

Tags:

NEWS
Author

IANS

Follow Me
Other Articles
Previous

Iraqi leaders, Iranian FM meet on Iran-US MoU, regional stability

Next

Ravi Kishan recalls being mocked & ignored by actors in ’90s, says his ‘time arrived after 34 years’

Search

News Categories

  • BUSINESS
  • EDUCATION
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FINANCE
  • HEALTH AND MEDICINE
  • INTERNATIONAL
  • NATIONAL
  • SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
  • SPORTS
  • TOP NEWS

About us

Bhaskar Live (bhaskarlive.in) is an English-language digital news portal that provides real-time coverage of national and international news, focusing on India-centric stories with a mix of original reporting and syndicated content. Launched in 2016, it serves as the English arm of the Dainik Bhaskar Group, one of India's largest media conglomerates known primarily for its Hindi-language newspaper, Dainik Bhaskar. The site is owned by Bhaskar Prakashan Pvt. Ltd.,

Terms of use

By accessing BhaskarLive.in, you agree to these Terms. This site provides news and information for personal, non-commercial use only. All content is copyrighted; reproduction requires written permission. You must not post unlawful, defamatory, or infringing material. We disclaim all warranties; content is provided "as is" without guarantees of accuracy. BhaskarLive.in is not liable for any damages from use. These Terms are governed by Madhya Pradesh law. We may update them anytime—continued use implies acceptance. Contact: bhaskarlive2019@gmail.com.

Disclaimer

This news is automatically published via auto feeds. No changes or modifications (editing) of any kind have been made to this news by the bhaskarlive.in team. The entire responsibility for this news and the materials used in it lies solely with the news agency. Before using the information provided in this news, please consult experts in the relevant field (lawyer / engineer / astrologer / vastu expert / doctor / news agency / other subject experts). Therefore, bhaskarlive.in news portal bears no responsibility for the related news and the text matter, photos, videos, and audio used.

Advertise with us

Email: bhaskarlive2019@gmail.com
Mobile: +91 - 9770324452
WhatsApp: +91 - 9424358037

Contact us

Bhaskar Prakashan Pvt. Ltd.
Email: bhaskarlive2019@gmail.com
Mobile: +91 - 9770324452
WhatsApp: +91 - 9424358037
Address: Bishambhar Bhavan, 18, Civic Centre, Jabalpur- 482002, Madhya Pradesh, India - 482004
Copyright 2026 — Bhaskar Live. All rights reserved.
richard casino login
Winomania Casino website
casino avantgarde