Skip to content
-
Subscribe to our newsletter & never miss our best posts. Subscribe Now!
  • Facebook
  • Twitter / X
  • Instagram
  • Youtube
BhaskarLive.in Bhaskar Live

Bhaskar English News

BhaskarLive.in Bhaskar Live

Bhaskar English News

  • TOP NEWS
  • NATIONAL
  • WORLD
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • BUSINESS
  • SCIENCE
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • TOP NEWS
  • NATIONAL
  • WORLD
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • BUSINESS
  • SCIENCE
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
Subscribe
Close

Search

TOP NEWS

6.1-magnitude earthquake strikes off Indonesia’s North Sumatra

By IANS
August 18, 2026 2 Min Read

Jakarta, Aug 18 (IANS) A 6.1-magnitude earthquake struck off Nias Island in Indonesia’s North Sumatra province on Tuesday, according to the country’s Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency.

No casualties or property damage have been reported so far, reports Xinhua news agency.

The earthquake occurred at 1:02 p.m. local time (0602 GMT), with its epicentre located about 147 km southeast of South Nias regency at a depth of 29 km, the agency said.

The earthquake did not have the potential to trigger a tsunami, it added.

This comes against the backdrop of another strong earthquake earlier this month, when a 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck Indonesia’s East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) province. The death toll has risen to 68, the National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) said Monday.

“The fatalities include 26 in Manggarai regency, 24 in East Manggarai, eight in Nagekeo, four in Sikka, and two each in Ende, West Manggarai and Ngada, while 213 others were injured,” BNPB Deputy for Prevention Abdul Muhari told a press conference.

At least 1,576 aftershocks have been recorded since the main quake.

The earthquake was centred about 30 km northeast of Mbay in Nagekeo Regency at a depth of 15 km, according to the decree.

The quake damaged 914 houses heavily, 126 moderately and 317 lightly. It also damaged 93 educational facilities, 36 health facilities and 38 government offices.

Roads in the affected areas are generally passable with some restrictions, while no residents remain reported missing across the seven affected regencies.

The Health Ministry has sent two field hospitals to Manggarai and Nagekeo and deployed medical and crisis management teams to support health services in quake-hit areas.

Meanwhile, electricity restoration in western and eastern Flores Island has reached 99.5 per cent, while telecommunications services across Flores have recovered to 95.4 per cent.

The Indonesian military has also deployed personnel and equipment to accelerate the distribution of relief supplies to hard-to-reach areas.

East Nusa Tenggara provincial government has declared a 14-day emergency response status following the earthquake on August 15, according to a provincial government decree.

–IANS

sd/

Tags:

NEWS
Author

IANS

Follow Me
Other Articles
Previous

Kejriwal questions AAP MLA Kuldeep Kumar’s detention, accuses Delhi Police of CCTV vandalism

Next

‘Strictly said, ‘focus and play’: Unnati reveals coach’s words after win in BWF World C’ships opener

Search

News Categories

  • BUSINESS
  • EDUCATION
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FINANCE
  • HEALTH AND MEDICINE
  • INTERNATIONAL
  • NATIONAL
  • SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
  • SPORTS
  • TOP NEWS

About us

Bhaskar Live (bhaskarlive.in) is an English-language digital news portal that provides real-time coverage of national and international news, focusing on India-centric stories with a mix of original reporting and syndicated content. Launched in 2016, it serves as the English arm of the Dainik Bhaskar Group, one of India's largest media conglomerates known primarily for its Hindi-language newspaper, Dainik Bhaskar. The site is owned by Bhaskar Prakashan Pvt. Ltd.,

Terms of use

By accessing BhaskarLive.in, you agree to these Terms. This site provides news and information for personal, non-commercial use only. All content is copyrighted; reproduction requires written permission. You must not post unlawful, defamatory, or infringing material. We disclaim all warranties; content is provided "as is" without guarantees of accuracy. BhaskarLive.in is not liable for any damages from use. These Terms are governed by Madhya Pradesh law. We may update them anytime—continued use implies acceptance. Contact: bhaskarlive2019@gmail.com.

Disclaimer

This news is automatically published via auto feeds. No changes or modifications (editing) of any kind have been made to this news by the bhaskarlive.in team. The entire responsibility for this news and the materials used in it lies solely with the news agency. Before using the information provided in this news, please consult experts in the relevant field (lawyer / engineer / astrologer / vastu expert / doctor / news agency / other subject experts). Therefore, bhaskarlive.in news portal bears no responsibility for the related news and the text matter, photos, videos, and audio used.

Advertise with us

Email: bhaskarlive2019@gmail.com
Mobile: +91 - 9770324452
WhatsApp: +91 - 9424358037

Contact us

Bhaskar Prakashan Pvt. Ltd.
Email: bhaskarlive2019@gmail.com
Mobile: +91 - 9770324452
WhatsApp: +91 - 9424358037
Address: Bishambhar Bhavan, 18, Civic Centre, Jabalpur- 482002, Madhya Pradesh, India - 482004
Copyright 2026 — Bhaskar Live. All rights reserved.
richard casino login
Winomania Casino website
casino avantgarde